Ingredients for 4-5 servings:
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups water
1/2 cup rosewater
1 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup slivered almonds (half for pudding and half for garnish)
1/3 cup slivered pistachios (half for pudding and half for garnish)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (for garnish)
Saffron Rice Pudding (Sholeh-Zard)
Wash and rinse the rice with water thoroughly.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice in a large pot; bring to boil over low heat, cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Add sugar stir until it is dissolved completely. Then add butter, rosewater and dissolved saffron. Cook for another 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add half slivered almonds and pistachios after 5 minutes remove from the heat.
Pour the pudding into a bowl. Garnish with cinnamon, almonds and pistachios. It can be served cool or warm.
Ingredients ( for 15 medium discs )
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 oz of cold unsalted butter ( cut in 12 pieces)
- 1 egg
- 4 – 5 Tablespoons of cold water
- Mix flour and salt in a food processor
- Add butter, egg and water until the dough gets clumpy (small balls of dough)
- Form a ball with the dough and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour
- Get the dough from the refrigerator and work on the dough with a pin or a roller until it gets very flat
- With a small round plate or a round lid, cut out as many circle shapes as you can
- Use immediately to make empanadas or put them in the refrigerator to use later
- Place the filling at the middle of the circle
- To close the empanadas, I recommend you use the white of egg for the edges to seal very well
- Fold in half and use a fork to press the edges for both sides
- If you have time, put them in the refrigerator for half an hour before baking to avoid opening
- To have a nice bright color, paint them with egg yolk before baking
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Bake them for 20 – 25 minutes or until it gets golden color
For the filling, you can use whatever you like, salted or sweet. You can put just cheese, chicken, beef or any filling that you prefer. In this case, I used mozzarella cheese and guava paste.
Ready to eat…. Enjoy!!!
recipe from France
preparation : 5 minutes
baking time : 30 minutes
Ingredients for 6 people :
– 1 cup of plain yogurt
– 2 cups of flour
– 2 cups of sugar
– 3 eggs
– 3/4 cup of oil
– 1 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1 packet of vanilla sugar
1_Preheat the oven to 400F (200C)
2_In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, eggs and yogurt. Add oil, baking powder and vanilla sugar.
3_Pour batter into a buttered cake pan.
4_Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
5_Wait for a few minutes before turning it out from the pan.
Enjoy the cake both warm and cooled.
Cooking Tips :
- Use the yogurt for the measurement.
- You can add apple or chocolate to this cake if you like.
2 bunches of Cilantro
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1 tablespoon of water
Salt and pepper
Cut the cilantro roots and wash them very well, put in the blender with the all ingredients and do several pulses until creamy, add salt and pepper to taste. You will have a perfect sauce for grill beef or chicken, bread, potatoes or even vegetables. Enjoy it…
Ingredients for 2 servings:
1 pound skinless, boneless fresh chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 medium minced onion
1 teaspoons salt
3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of hot water
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
A pinch of red pepper powder and cumin if desired.
1. Add the onion, olive oil, lime juice, liquid saffron, salt, pepper and spices to the chicken in a bowl, making sure that all the spices are evenly marinated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
2. Skewer the chicken pieces to bamboo skewers, grill the skewers on the hot grill and continue until chicken pieces are well cooked.
Serve warm with rice, yogurt, salad, fresh herbs and pickles and grilled tomatoes.
Persian chicken kebab served with rice, grilled tomato and Apfelschorle
“Strawberry shortcake parties became popular in the United States around 1850, as a celebration of the coming of summer .Probably the most popular berry back then, people talked of strawberry fever. The railroads became transcontinental and strawberries could be shipped from coast to coast surrounded with ice to keep them fresh. Advertisements and articles about strawberry shortcake, caused more and more demand.”
Forward the basic recipe of this special American treat :
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Whipped Cream, recipe follows
Mix strawberries with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add heavy cream and mix until just combined. Place mixture in an ungreased 8-inch square pan and bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes.
Remove shortcake from pan and place on a rack to cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces and split each piece in half horizontally.
Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom. Top with a generous dollop of whipped cream and then the shortcake top. Spoon more strawberries over the top and serve.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Using a mixer, beat the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until soft peaks form, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.