Ingredients for 4-5 servings:
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons butter
4 cups water
1/2 cup rosewater
1 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water
1/2 cup slivered almonds (half for pudding and half for garnish)
1/3 cup slivered pistachios (half for pudding and half for garnish)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon (for garnish)
Saffron Rice Pudding (Sholeh-Zard)
Wash and rinse the rice with water thoroughly.
- Add 4 cups of water to the rice in a large pot; bring to boil over low heat, cook for 30 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- Add sugar stir until it is dissolved completely. Then add butter, rosewater and dissolved saffron. Cook for another 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add half slivered almonds and pistachios after 5 minutes remove from the heat.
Pour the pudding into a bowl. Garnish with cinnamon, almonds and pistachios. It can be served cool or warm.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
1 pound skinless, boneless fresh chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 medium minced onion
1 teaspoons salt
3-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of hot water
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
A pinch of red pepper powder and cumin if desired.
1. Add the onion, olive oil, lime juice, liquid saffron, salt, pepper and spices to the chicken in a bowl, making sure that all the spices are evenly marinated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
2. Skewer the chicken pieces to bamboo skewers, grill the skewers on the hot grill and continue until chicken pieces are well cooked.
Serve warm with rice, yogurt, salad, fresh herbs and pickles and grilled tomatoes.
Persian chicken kebab served with rice, grilled tomato and Apfelschorle