Ingredients ( for 15 medium discs )
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 6 oz of cold unsalted butter ( cut in 12 pieces)
- 1 egg
- 4 – 5 Tablespoons of cold water
- Mix flour and salt in a food processor
- Add butter, egg and water until the dough gets clumpy (small balls of dough)
- Form a ball with the dough and let it rest in the refrigerator for half an hour
- Get the dough from the refrigerator and work on the dough with a pin or a roller until it gets very flat
- With a small round plate or a round lid, cut out as many circle shapes as you can
- Use immediately to make empanadas or put them in the refrigerator to use later
- Place the filling at the middle of the circle
- To close the empanadas, I recommend you use the white of egg for the edges to seal very well
- Fold in half and use a fork to press the edges for both sides
- If you have time, put them in the refrigerator for half an hour before baking to avoid opening
- To have a nice bright color, paint them with egg yolk before baking
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Bake them for 20 – 25 minutes or until it gets golden color
For the filling, you can use whatever you like, salted or sweet. You can put just cheese, chicken, beef or any filling that you prefer. In this case, I used mozzarella cheese and guava paste.
Ready to eat…. Enjoy!!!
2 bunches of Cilantro
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1 tablespoon of water
Salt and pepper
Cut the cilantro roots and wash them very well, put in the blender with the all ingredients and do several pulses until creamy, add salt and pepper to taste. You will have a perfect sauce for grill beef or chicken, bread, potatoes or even vegetables. Enjoy it…
Did you know that esfiha is also called sfiha in Arabic? It means meat with dough.
In Brazil, Esfiha is very popular, and we serve it in cocktails, birthdays and even weddings. Delicious!
Esfihas from Brazil
500 gr. ground beef
1 large onion chopped and 1 tablespoon of garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
Sal and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cup of WARM water
1 small cup of corn or canola oil
1 tea spoon of salt
1 table spoon of sugar
30 g of dry yeast or ( 3 table spoon of fresh yeast)
Mix in a blender … You have to mix it all for 3 minutes.
In a bowl, put 750 gr of baking flour, make a hole in the middle, and begin to pour the mixture into the flour and mix with a fork and after it gets a good consistency, mix with your hands, for more 5 minutes, until it pulls away from the hand.
The dough must “rest” for 20 minutes.
After that make a roll and cut into 12 equal pieces. Open the dough (approximately 4 in diameter), place 1 tablespoon of the meat filling in the middle of the dough and close it by making a triangle (see the pictures). Place the Esfihas in a flour surface and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Bake in a hot oven, 400F for 20 minutes.